— Background of the “Health and Productivity Management®”* —
Sompo Group values the health and wellbeing of employees and their families. As stated in its management philosophy, the Group aspires to be an organization that:
It is essential to take care of employees’ health and their families, who are the driving force in embodying the philosophy. The Group’s Human Respect Policy also states that we are committed to maintaining and improving employees’ health to ensure a vibrant work environment.
The Group is actively practicing the Health and Productivity Management initiatives to boost employees’ health as one of its most important business themes based on the management philosophy and policies.
The Group will deliver messages to the outside world to raise awareness of health management. It will also support and sponsor external health management programs.
- The term “Health and Productivity Management®” is a registered trademark of an incorporated NPO organization, the Workshop for the Management of Health on Company and Employee.
Sompo Group Health Management Declaration
To further promote the Health and Productivity Management throughout the Group, we have established the “Sompo Group Health Management Declaration,” which incorporates three objectives: (i) embody the Group Management Philosophy, (ii) boost productivity, and (iii) enhance corporate value. We are pushing ahead with the Health and Productivity Management by delivering the group-common policies internally and externally.
【Sompo Group Health Management Declaration】
Sompo Group values its contribution to society and ensures the highest quality services for customers’ safety, security and health. To this end, we strive to provide healthy and happy lives for employees and their families.
- We respect a sense of ownership; we support individual health activities that suit each employee’s mission and work style.
- We provide a place where people can express their diverse talents and strengths; we try to boost individuals’ and organizations’ productivity in a healthy working environment.
- We contribute to the realization of a healthier and more energetic society by increasing employees’ motivation and creating innovations.
(1) Maintain and Improve the Health of Employees
To maintain and improve employees' health, each Group company implements initiatives tailored to individual health status.
Sompo Japan, for example, encourages its employees to read the company-original "Textbook for Human Resource Development – Health," which offers tips on health issues in a remote work environment and improves their health literacy.
Another excellent example would be Sompo Himawari Life Insurance ("Sompo Himawari"), which provides a free wearable device for all employees to raise health awareness. The device enables people to check their day-to-day health data, e.g., the number of steps taken, heart rate, calories consumed, and hours of sleep. Sompo Himawari is trying to create an exercise-focused lifestyle for its employees. For example, it holds regular online workshops to encourage working out. Daily step competitions are organized and gauged by the company-provided wearable devices. In addition, Sompo Himawari introduced a non-smoking policy in April 2019. This company-wide policy sought to strengthen non-smoking efforts during work hours. In April 2020, Sompo Himawari included in its recruitment policies a clause indicating that new hires in and after 2020 must be non-smokers. In addition, Sompo Himawari provides individual online follow-up programs for people who quit smoking.
(2) Ensure a Vibrant Work Environment
"Happiness at Work" is a must-have factor for companies to grow sustainably. The Group believes that promoting health management can enhance employees' well-being and mental and physical health. "The health of employees and their families" is the driving force of the Group's management philosophy. To this end, the Group declared its recognition that employees' mental and physical health is a management issue. Along with Sompo New Wok Style, the Group will promote its health management to embody a diverse work style.
Sompo Japan regularly conducts employee awareness surveys to gauge the vitality of employees and the company. The study results, employees' work hours, and regular stress checks are analyzed together to see how happy employees are at work. Sompo Japan then works on any areas for improvement to increase employee motivation and team vitality.
(3) Data Analytics in Health
The Group analyzes health data offered by Sompo Health Support Inc. while working with health insurance associations. Sompo Japan accumulates the data on (i) employees' checkups, (ii) results of stress checks, and (iii) lifestyle habits. It is working on analyzing the relationship between work hours and presenteeism*. Sompo Himawari is working on the progress of Data Analytics in Health. It collects health data from wearable devices, checkup results, and medical bills.
- Presenteeism: losses caused by reduced productivity due to physical and mental health conditions.
Health Management Initiatives in the Group
Note 1) Group companies in Japan (21 companies) are as follows
- Mysurance Inc.
- Sompo Asset Management Co., Ltd.
- Sompo Commercial Line Claims Support Inc.
- Sompo Credit Inc.
- Sompo Care Inc.
- Sompo Corporate Services Inc.
- Sompo Communications Inc.
- Sompo Systems Inc.
- Sompo Challenged Inc.
- Sompo Business Services, Inc.
- Sompo Business Solutions Inc.
- Sompo Health Support Inc.
- Sompo Risk Management Inc.
- Sompo Warranty Inc.
- Wellness Communications Corporation
- Saison Automobile and Fire Insurance Company
- Sompo Japan DC Securities Inc.
- Sompo Japan Career Bureau Inc.
- Sompo Japan Partners Inc.
- Prime Assistance Inc.
- FRESHHOUSE Co., Ltd.